Tuesday 3 August 2010

Toy Story 3 [IMAX 3D]


An exceptional slice of cinema that excels in every way.
"But it's a kids movie", yes and it excels at it. I was immediately informed that this has 'smashed' into Charlotte's 'Top 3'.
"But it's an animation", yes and it excels at it. In the start sequence alone there are two explosions (one involving a shitload of simians) that are simply orgasms for the eyeball.
"Ah, but is it really cinema?", yes. And it excels at it. To give an example there is an incinerator moment toward the end of the film which moved me more than a shocking majority of grown-up cinema. I forgot I was watching toys.

7 comments:

  1. But it's a film with '3' at the end of its title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and it excels at it. It takes what is important from the first two and builds on it, rounding the story off as a tale told across a trilogy. Most skillfully handled indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you didn't like the first 2 Toy Story's then this won't change your opinion and you still have no heart or soul.

    For all the human's out there this is another touching, intelligent, laugh out loud funny family movie with as much to entertain the adults as the kids. The sequence in the incinerator is as brilliant as Al suggests. If I had to be critical I thought it was occasionally a little rushed, but never to an extent that it harmed the movie, and maybe not quite as magical as Up and Wall-E.

    Had I not seen Inception 4 days earlier this would have been head and shoulders the best film this year and not the close second it currently is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and the accompanying animated short is utter genius

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen Toy Story 1 or 2 and tbh don't really have any intention of doing so, but I resent the implication that I have no heart and soul for making that choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not imply that having not seen TS1&2 means you have no heart or soul, just that not loving their magical beauty when you do see them does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd rank it above Inception. A serious film, dealing with some deep and difficult issues. Takes the conceit that toys are sentient to its worrying conclusion: being a toy is a traumatic and pretty horrible existence. A lot of fucked up people in this movie. And what did happen to Bo Peep? I'm guessing it wasn't good.

    Agree with everything said by Al and James above. And as a talking point - best ever conclusion to a trilogy?

    ReplyDelete